Metabolic Syndrome and Stroke
- Metabolic syndrome (MS) as well as its individual components is a strong predictor of ischemic stroke especially recurrent stroke, as well as coronary artery disease (CAD) in diverse populations.1-6 See MetS and heart disease.
- Patients with diabetes have a higher risk of stroke when MS is also present.
- Part of the increased risk for stroke from MS may be mediated to its association with atrial fibrillation.7
- MS is also a major determinant of postoperative stroke and acute renal failure following coronary artery bypass surgery.8
1. Qiao Q, Laatikainen T, Zethelius B, et al. Comparison of definitions of metabolic syndrome in relation to the risk of developing stroke and coronary heart disease in Finnish and Swedish cohorts. Stroke. Feb 2009;40(2):337-343.
2. Cortez-Dias N, Martins S, Belo A, Fiuza M. Comparison of definitions of metabolic syndrome in relation to risk for coronary artery disease and stroke. Rev Port Cardiol. Feb 2011;30(2):139-169.
3. Gupta AK, Dahlof B, Sever PS, Poulter NR. Metabolic syndrome, independent of its components, is a risk factor for stroke and death but not for coronary heart disease among hypertensive patients in the ASCOT-BPLA. Diabetes Care. Jul 2010;33(7):1647-1651.
4. Hoshino A, Nakamura T, Enomoto S, et al. Prevalence of coronary artery disease in Japanese patients with cerebral infarction: impact of metabolic syndrome and intracranial large artery atherosclerosis. Circ J. Mar 2008;72(3):404-408.
5. Kasai T, Miyauchi K, Kajimoto K, et al. Relationship between the metabolic syndrome and the incidence of stroke after complete coronary revascularization over a 10-year follow-up period. Atherosclerosis. Nov 2009;207(1):195-199.
6. Jia Z, Wu S, Zhou Y, et al. Metabolic syndrome and its components as predictors of stroke in middle-aged and elderly Chinese people. Neurol Res. Jun 2011;33(5):453-459.
7. Tanner RM, Baber U, Carson AP, et al. Association of the Metabolic Syndrome With Atrial Fibrillation Among United States Adults (from the REasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke [REGARDS] Study). Am J Cardiol. Jul 15 2011;108(2):227-232.
8. Kajimoto K, Miyauchi K, Kasai T, et al. Metabolic syndrome is an independent risk factor for stroke and acute renal failure after coronary artery bypass grafting. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Mar 2009;137(3):658-663.